Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replacing Fork Seals, Advice requested
PharmerTed
post Jun 20 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Executive Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 12

Ok, I've had it. After dealing with my left fork seal oozing for a year and a half, it now looks like I need to take action. Has anyone replaced their fork seals? Any experience with aftermarket seals vs. OEM? Cliff - still got the fork socket? Trapper - I thought you once told me you owned/made a fork seal driver? Service manual calls for replacing oil seals, wipers, and slider bushing. Any opinions on the necessity of replacing the bushing? All commentary welcome!

--------------------
2008 Road King with lotsa expensive crap that comes stock. Plus some added stuff, only half of which my wife knows about. So SSHHHH!
2002 VTX 1800s with lotsa expensive crap added that I sold to someone else at a discount which my wife thinks is pretty stupid. GONE!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DoubleD
post Jun 20 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 206

I need to do mine too, let me know when you are going to give yours a shot and we can do them both.

Dave

--------------------
Dave
2003 VTX 1800C
Illusion Blue, V&H Pipes, Mustang Seat, Cobra floorboards, LeatherLyke hard bags

+Quote Post
shark-bait
post Jun 20 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

I found that after my bike sat for awhile, I too have a left side leak, I just tried the 35mm film trick, the trick was finding an old 35mm roll around the house. I'll know in a day or two if I still have an issue.

+Quote Post
PharmerTed
post Jun 20 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #4

Executive Member

Interesting. I find my leak is much more pronounced after bike sits a while, especially over winter. Saw some VTXOA posts to this effect also. Maybe seal wears out and shrinks over time? Once it sits for a while (I haven't ridden for 2 weeks, rain + been on vacation) seal pulls away from the fork tube? As opposed to a piece of gunk, nick, scratch, etc. forcing the seal away from the slider. Anyway, VTXOA research says replace the bushing as well. RPM has seal set (1 seal + 1 wiper) for $20, bushing for $4, 16oz. fork oil $7. $62 to do both forks. ($270 if you want them to do it) Some suggest a little emery cloth on the slider to smooth out any burrs, etc. Opinions? What grit? 400? 800? Anyone out there who's done this, speak up!

--------------------
2008 Road King with lotsa expensive crap that comes stock. Plus some added stuff, only half of which my wife knows about. So SSHHHH!
2002 VTX 1800s with lotsa expensive crap added that I sold to someone else at a discount which my wife thinks is pretty stupid. GONE!

+Quote Post
PharmerTed
post Jun 21 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #5

Executive Member

Wednesday's the day. Got the fork tool today (thanks Cliff), gonna pickup parts Wed AM and fix that damn fork. Dave, if you want to join in send me a PM. Extra set of hands, eyes, ears would be welcome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trapper
post Jun 22 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 158

Sorry Pharmer....

I'm just checking in, and missed your post.

Do you need some help with those fork seals? I've done the C bike with success, but a sample size of one is not much to brag about!

Let me know if you need some help.

--------------------
Those that don't understand, I pity. Those that do, I call friends.

Trapper

+Quote Post
PharmerTed
post Jun 26 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #7

Executive Member

Replaced left seal on Wednesday successfully, no leaks. A correction to my previous post: slider bushing is $9 each. $72 + tax for both forks. After inspecting my disassembled fork, I would highly recommend replacing the slider bushing as specified. Made seal driver out of a 1.5" PVC straight coupling, almost the perfect size. When reassembling, I had to make sure the guide bushing was oriented the same way as before or I couldn't drive the seal in, even though the manual seems to indicate that the bushing is symmetrical and can be installed either way. Be SURE when you install the new seal that lettering faces down towards axle end of the slider. Honda instructions say lettering faces up, but this same seal is used on a variety of forks, some standard, some inverted. Instructions should say lettering faces AWAY from the oil: up for a standard fork, down for an inverted fork like the VTX.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cliff
post Jun 26 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #8

Grand Poobah

Member No.: 4

DWD, PharmerTed has returned the socket so it is now available if you need it. Let me know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DoubleD
post Jun 27 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 206

How long do you think this will take?

DWD

--------------------
Dave
2003 VTX 1800C
Illusion Blue, V&H Pipes, Mustang Seat, Cobra floorboards, LeatherLyke hard bags

+Quote Post
Carol
post Jun 27 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #10

Grand Poobah

Member No.: 3

I think PharmerTed said about 4 hours if you don't count the extra trips for parts and supplies.

--------------------
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either.

+Quote Post
PharmerTed
post Jun 30 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #11

Executive Member

About right. 4 hours or so the first time, maybe 2 if you've done it before.

--------------------

+Quote Post
EschMan
post Oct 10 2014, 02:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76

Do you need to remove the fork tubes from the bike to replace them? Or can you pull the wheel on the jack and go from there? Also is it any easier to replace the fork springs at the same time other than the bike is on a jack? Maybe do springs first and then replace fork oil so I don't lose some during spring R&R. Going to buy up the parts this fall as I can and do the job in the spring I think.

I know it's an old post to dredge up. smile.gif Thanks all.

--------------------
---------
2002 1800C, Silver
Mustang 5pc Seat, Roadhouse Shorty Exhaust, Aeromach VTX cruise pegs and mirrors, Barron's billet flame grips, Barnett Clutch, Progressive 430 shocks, Progressive 12.5" Fork Springs, other little gadgets.

+Quote Post
Cliff
post Oct 10 2014, 05:11 PM
Post #13

Grand Poobah

Member No.: 4

Maybe this will help a bit. - Linked here....

--------------------

+Quote Post
EschMan
post Aug 16 2016, 02:03 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76

Wow, looking at this post it took me a couple years to get around to it I guess. Life happens. The puddle of fork oil on the floor this Spring was the last straw. I watched all the videos and such which were super helpful. After all that I ended up pretty much removing front wheel, fender, calipers and pulled the fork tubes off the bike after cracking the top bolts. Then I pretty much disassembled the forks per the manual, cleaned all the parts, and put them back together with 12.5 inch springs and all new bushings, seals and clips. Despite best efforts to manage things I had to tweak the lock nuts on the bike a few times to get the axle holes to line up correctly. I used the coat hanger tricks from bareass choppers to compress springs and fish up the damper rod for reassembly. Slapping the 430 rear shocks on was a lot less effort. Anyway now I'm committed to at least another couple riding seasons before I start looking at used Multi Stradas again.

Cleaned up my intermittent starter switch, and clutch switch, changed the oil and the old girl runs like new.

--------------------
---------
2002 1800C, Silver
Mustang 5pc Seat, Roadhouse Shorty Exhaust, Aeromach VTX cruise pegs and mirrors, Barron's billet flame grips, Barnett Clutch, Progressive 430 shocks, Progressive 12.5" Fork Springs, other little gadgets.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2020 - 01:55 AM